Jan 16, 2014

It's getting real, folks!

 
There it is! I'm flying into Atlanta, GA on February 18th! I'll be coming from a week of sun and sand with family and good family friends. Probably not the absolute best frame of mind in which to start a 2185 mile trek, leaving luxury, family, beer, and mixed drinks behind, but I'm stoked nonetheless. 

I'll meet Jesse at the airport and we'll use one of the popular methods to get to a hiker hostel and the trail the next day, Wednesday, February 19th. Right now, we're planning to hike the approach trail, it really sounds like a lovely hike. Yet you can drive to within a mile of Springer Mtn. and start counting your miles right off the bat. It's weird, and I don't get it, but the 8 miles leading to the top of Springer Mtn don't actually count as part of the Appalachian Trail. With us leaving so early in the season, it might make a big difference in our comfort should a storm come along.

Just for the record, this is 34 days away. EEEP! And since I'll be in Florida whooping it up before I take off, I've got to be trail ready by February 11th. That is 26 days from now. Wow.

Better get my dissertation in order. And my trail legs!

2 comments:

  1. Where are y'all going to be here in the beautiful FLA? My beau and I are scientists as well (chemistry and coastal biology)! We sciences have to stick together! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be in the Tampa area. Jesse's staying behind to finish our mail drops ;) What can I say, I'm spoiled! Thanks for the shout out, Kelley!

    ReplyDelete