Apr 8, 2014

Days 37 to 48

Mar 27, day 37: 461, 20 miles- we acquired a team name today, team morning glory, because of our fairly regular early morning bowel movements. I know, but that's the main topic of conversation out here, after food and how much our feet hurt. Were looking forward to Damascus, va tomorrow and our 4th state.

Mar28, day 38, 5.9, 467.1: I'm labeling the date for my uncle ( hi uncle al). We neroed into Damascus and I finally got a call out to family. Then we got laundry done and checked in to Dave's place across from the outfitters. I highly recommend mt rogers outfitters and Dave's. The place is the heart of town,and in just a few hours you know everything and everyone in town.

Day 39, mar 29, 0 miles
Family stuff stuck us in Damascus another day, but I love this town. The Damascus vortex held us briefly, and we felt very welcome.

Day 40, mar 30, 16.1, 483.2 total
At the suggestion of numerous locals, we took the creeper trail for the first few miles of our day. Its not the actual AT, but they join up about 12 miles away from town. It followed a lovely river and was a great change of pace from repetitive woods. I was pretty emotionally drained, but we stayed in the shelter with friends who brightened my day.

Day 41, mar 31, 500.5, 17.3 today
And I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more.... shit! 500 miles. And we went thru a state park with ponies! I pet and fed the first one, before the signs told me not to.

Day 42, Apr 1,18 miles today, 518 total
We walked. A lot. All of my journal musings talk about personal life reflections. I was tired and emotionally exhausted. Its really hard to hike in that state. Lucky for me, Jesse kept me smiling despite myself. Another thing to be thankful for on the trail.

Day 43, my birthday! 13.2, 531 total
Hiked into Marion for birthday celebrations. I'll try to attach a picture, but check out facebook if I can't.

Day 44, apr3, 547.9, 16.7 today. This is the 25% mark! It was rainy all morning but cleared in the afternoon to be a not so terrible day.

Day 45, 560.1, 12.2 miles
I had a good time hiking today for the first time in a while. Its been so cold that the nice day made it glorious. We stopped short of our daily mileage to camp by a gorgeous stream, and I was glad to just enjoy for a day.

Day 46, Apr.5, 575.7, 15.6 today
Hiked a lot over a hellish ridgeline today and engaged in some trail drama and gossip about Warren Doyle, a man who really likes the AT. A lot.

Day 47, Apr 6, as u know, we went to a DQ in bland va and I did a quick update. We got to 592, 17 miles that day.

Day 48, Apr 7, 613.7, 21.7
Long day of hiking.

Day 49, today, Apr 8. Met a guy who played a judge in an upcoming blockbuster, illusions of red and white. We hiked 17 long miles to get in, and plan on hiking another one or 2 before we make camp outside of pearisburg va.  Gotta run!

No comments:

Post a Comment