Feb 2, 2014

Motivation

Jesse and I are both scientists. Sometimes scientific articles have a section entitled "Motivation." This section is supposed to explain the motivation behind your hypothesis, or 'why the hell do this research anyway?'

Along with many other aspiring thru-hikers, I read Appalachian Trials by Zach Davis (the Good Badger). He keeps a great website for thru- and section- hikers at http://www.appalachiantrials.com/appalachian-trail-thru-hiker-resources/appalachian-trail-2014/.

His book stands out from the many other good books out there in that it deals with the mental preparation needed and the mental trials people go through on their AT thru hiking journey. Its great, read it.

In it, he asks would-be thru hikers to write down their list of reasons they are hiking the Appalachian Trail.

I'd like to share mine. Its not the whole list, but it is my primary motivator:

This blog is entitled "Just a Bummin' Around." Keen readers will note that these are lyrics to a song with the same name. The song exemplifies what I'd like my trail experience to be, but it also reminds me of something more. My grandpa used to have a classical country band, and I learned a lot of old country songs from him strumming his guitar and singing with us. I don't remember him singing this song when he used to play guitar, but for a couple years before he died, we'd go out to a local bar and listen to another group of guys sing old country songs. They'd sing this one, and grandpa would join in every time. Even before I met Jesse, before we decided to hike the trail, this song spoke to me.

My grandpa was in and out of nursing homes for the last few years of his life (and years before....he seemed to love rickety ladders....). He was a tough ol' bird. We shared a birthday, and I would always come home, no matter where I was living, and spend it with him. One birthday, 5 or 6 years ago, he was in the nursing home, so we had cake and ice cream up there. I remember him doing laps around the nursing home, pushing himself to build his strength back up so he could come home. His perseverance, internal strength, and mindful living represent everything I value. Long before this, after he retired and for the most of the rest of his life, he walked two miles each day to stay healthy and active.

My motivation on the Appalachian Trail is more than wanting to accomplish an amazing, grandiose journey. More than wanting to see states I've yet to travel to in a way that allows me to connect with them, outside and in small towns that make me feel at home. And more than challenging myself to do something bigger than anything I've ever done. Its doing all of that with my grandpa in my heart, pushing me on. Taking one step toward being the larger than life, amazing person he's always been to me, the person I'd like to become.


That's my motivation for hiking the Appalachian Trail.


Bummin' Around
I got an ol' slouch hat,
got my roll on my shoulder
I'm as free as a breeze
an' do as I please,
just a bummin' around . . .

Gotta million friends,
I don't feel any older
I've got nothin' to lose
not even the blues,
just a bummin' around . . .

Whenever worries start
to botherin' me ( start botherin' me! )
I grab my coat, my ol' slouch hat,
hit the trail again,
you see . . .

I ain't got a dime,
don't care where I'm goin'
I'm as free as a breeze
an' do as I please,
just a bummin' around!

No comments:

Post a Comment